AUTOMATED FLASH POINT ANALYZER
The Rapid Flash is a microprocessor based flash point monitoring system. It provides pipeline operations’ personnel with the capability of automatic product flash point monitoring. The unit can be used locally or remotely for batch interface cutting or transmix injection. Deviations in product flashpoint can be monitored with user programmable high and low alarm set points. Out-of-spec sections of a batch, which would normally reduce the overall quality of the batch, can then be cut out.
The system requires approximately 30 seconds to perform a flash point reading with a programmable delay between readings from 0 to 9999 se-conds. The flash point is determined by drawing air through a product sam-ple chamber to develop a gas vapor. This vapor is then passed through a sensor chamber that measures the product’s lower explosive limit (L.E.L.). The sample temperature, L.E.L. and API gravity (API gravity must be sup-plied to the Rapid Flash as a 4-20 ma signal) are then used to calculate the product flash point. The system is currently tested for measuring various grades of fuel oil, kerosene, and Type A jet fuel. The flash point reading is supplied as a 4-20 ma output signal (scaled 0-250 F or 0-200 F) and can also be displayed on a laptop or tablet computer, either locally at the unit or remotely at the control room. A laptop or tablet computer can also be used to monitor the system operation, configure the system or
Some of the features to improve reliability and reduce maintenance include:
- Automatic shutdown and startup with a user supplied status input.
- Automatic shutdown and startup on product that is out of sensor range. (gasolines, etc.)
- Redundant sensors with autozero and automatic switchover is now a standard feature.
- Alarm output on system malfunction.
Some of the NEW features include:
- Remote access via Ethernet or optional WiFi
- Event and alarm logging
- Flash point and gravity trending
- Touch screen computer included for monitoring, diagnostics, and configuration.
These features and many more make the Rapid Flash a valuable component in the overall scheme of pipeline automation.